Friday, May 28, 2010

Cars

Last night, I went to minor league ball game, and had a good time despite the rain. I had left my car at home since I was riding with other folks, and I had it parked on the street (cause my roommate had her car in the driveway when I came home). I do this because I live on a generally quiet residential street without much through traffic. So I was out late, but came home around 11:30pm and all was fine, quiet, usual...

Woke up this morning to find some hooligan(s) had thrown a beer bottle or two, at least one of which hit my car. Which cracked the windshield. A very large circular web of cracks in the lower left-hand side. Spent the morning at work trying to get in touch with my insurance agent and then they contacted some random auto glass company. Which means I get to spend my Saturday getting a new windshield, not to mention the cost (lower than my deductible, lucky me, all out-of-pocket). It's not a horrific expense, but still. Some drunk imbecile parties, and I have to pay for it. Galling.

Also, this is the first time anything like this has happened to my car. So I was stunned to walk out to find the damage this morning and was not sure what to do at first, too much drama. And I'm not even as emotionally attached to this car yet (as opposed to my beloved old truck), but I was still quite upset. And it's still new-ish to me, so that makes this damage even more annoying.

In honor of this - a few songs about, mentioning, or featuring cars.


"Cars" - Gary Numan: The obvious first choice. Best YouTube comment? The person who said "Gary Numan invented guyliner."
(Digression time, let's discuss how appalling YouTube comments often are. They are the worst! People get INSANE. Over nothing. It never ceases to amaze me. I read a lot of amazingly cruel, crude, pointless comments on the net, it is, after all, the Internet. And one can kind of understand it when people get upset over, say, political posts or something. But on videos of babies and kittens? Frightening/extremely amusing.)



Another obvious choice, though while cars do figure in this video, they are probably not the most memorable part for many people:

"Here I Go Again" - Whitesnake
:



Another classic, and possibly the downright funniest video of this group - "Stay the Night" - Chicago:



The Beatles' classic "Drive My Car" covered by The Hot Rats: On principle I am not a huge fan of people covering The Beatles, but I actually don't hate this. I do rather like what I have heard of their covers album Turn Ons . The video itself I find rather tepid. Not horrible, but not thrilling. Good face-making.



In the part of the previous video where they ride the big wheel down the hill, it put me in mind of this next one -

"Steady as She Goes" - The Raconteurs
: An excellent song with a cute video. Best YouTube comment on this one? "guns dont kill people. people with mustaches kill people."



Cars are so integral to our lives that they feature in a ton of music videos. This is by no means an exhaustive list, nor a best of, just the first few that I thought of tonight. Now I am going to bed early, as I have to be up for the ordeal of getting a new windshield tomorrow.

Do you have any favorite videos that mention/feature cars?

1 comment:

  1. Excellent theme! Sorry to hear about your windshield though. =/

    I have a shameful love of that Whitesnake song, which I blame on my trailer park background. I hadn't actually seen the other videos, so it was cool to check them out.

    When I first saw the title I immediately thought of The Cars, who, to my knowledge, don't have any videos that feature or mention cars, although I suppose "Drive" obliquely references them.

    The two automobile-centric songs that come to my mind unfortunately do not have videos: "Bonehead's Bank Holiday" by Oasis (a super fun song, IMO) and "Breaking Into Cars" by The Raveonettes (not a personal favorite).

    ReplyDelete