Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Profile songs Pt. 1

What, if any, music videos are currently set to display on your Myspace/Facebook/whatever page? Was it a hard decision, or you did you just know you had to have the song up because it's your jam?

My Myspace page, back in the day, had a long list of bands (alphabetized, naturally) that I was into, with the 'major' ones in bold (Bob Dylan, Elliott Smith, Morrissey, and so forth), with some videos thrown in. I didn't really agonize over the list though, I just put in all the stuff I most often listened to, and tried to pick a good video that showcased a great artist, or a beloved song, or a cool concept.

Later in life, I removed most of that kind of thing, as well as a lot of other personal information. But my Facebook page still has a Music tab, that I don't really pay that much attention to. I say that, yet I have 29 videos on that tab, and have 'iLike'd 120 artists and 99 songs... but I am pretty sure that absolutely nobody ever clicks on that tab, and I rarely add to it anymore.

So does it matter? Does it do anybody any good to have it? I say yes. Music choices on social media let us share a little of ourselves with the public. Whether the public cares or not is irrelevant. If a friend of mine wants to catch a tiny glimpse of what makes me tick, they can click. (This would also apply to things like Goodreads shelves, except I don't use that because I read a lot of everything, and I don't think it would say much of anything useful for people except that I am a giant nerd, which my friends already know.)

Since this project is still beginning, what better to introduce myself with than videos that have been displayed on my profile pages (at one time or another).



Here goes:

"Coming Up Roses" - Elliott Smith: An early song, an early video - nothing too thrilling video-wise, but it has a stripped down charm. Elliott Smith is a huge artist for me. I still count seeing him play live as one of my best show memories (even though, or because of the fact that my concert buddy and I almost didn't make it to the show).




"Apply Some Pressure" - Maximo Park: Again, a simple video. I picked this because at the time they didn't have that much stuff out that I could find in video, and I happen to just adore this song. You might not be able to tell just from his toe-tapping, but this man can *dance* like a maniac.




"Closer" - Travis: This one might be considered trying too hard, as it is a little dreamy and twee, but A)part of the reason I like Travis is for their dedicated earnestness B) who hasn't wanted to dance in a grocery store at some point? And C)I have been in this grocery store!




"Tomorrow" - Morrissey: A lot of his videos are him randomly walking about. Not a thrilling visual, but works considering the theme of most of his body of work (loneliness, etc.). And the young Moz is adorable.



And this post is getting too long, but for last - with more of a theme this time - "Dani California" - Red Hot Chili Peppers: a super fun video featuring costumes! And, *excellent face making* by the band.

Red Hot Cili Peppers-Dani California Music video

MySpace Video



Part two, with a couple more, may come sometime later.


***
Side note related to Elliott Smith - Roger Waters apologizes for his people pasting an ad over Elliott Smith memorial wall. As he should! Even if you don't know the artist, it's clearly a memorial wall and the wrong place for ads.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, look, a comment! Love the Closer video. The guy at the register is totally how I feel at my job most days, just meh... I really wish something like that could happen. Not really liking the song though.
    Oh, your center column is a little narrow, the right edge of the vids are getting cut off. =(

    ReplyDelete