Saturday, May 22, 2010

Friend post

Friends can have a lot of influence in our lives - this post is devoted to Miss Michael, who is currently visiting. I used to be a huge fan of making mix CDs (still am), and I would give them to friends, especially a mutual friend "L" who is the reason I met Michael in the first place. Part of the reason we bonded as teenagers was our shared love of music (specifically the Travis song "Flowers in the Window"). Over the years, this translates to a number of bands/songs that I might not otherwise have heard, and vice versa.

So to commemorate her visit (in-between our discussion of music/TV/movie husbands, watching of Buffy and Hot Fuzz, and our adventuring about town) a post:

First, our shared love of Travis - "Why Does it Always Rain on Me": a classic video, simple, but cute. Two things we love: Scotland, and kilts.


A video from an artist that she introduced to me -

"Black White" - The Raveonettes: (from the excellent Gap "Sound of Color" ad series):



An artist that I introduced her to -

"Strange Powers" - The Magnetic Fields: who need to make more videos, so that we have more to showcase, please! But their musical body of work is magnificent.



Up next, she will guest blog a couple of her notable videos!

*** Following by Miss Michael ***

Shirley Manson & Elijah Wood in "Les enfants s'ennuient le dimanche" [Oliver Peoples 2010 campaign] (directed by Autumn de Wilde):
Okay, I know this is technically an advertisement, but seriously, what's not to love? Music, good. Shirley Manson, good. Elijah Wood, very good. It's very whimsical, but borderline creepy because they almost seem like siblings. Or maybe step siblings a la The Royal Tenenbaums (or Cruel Intentions, if you want to trash it up a little).



"Limon y Sal" - Julieta Venegas:
This video is so charming. I like the song, even though I have little to no clue what she's saying, but I especially like the storyline and the fairy tale qualities.


*** End guest blog ***


Those are two adorable videos, thank you Miss Michael! I could just eat up Elijah Wood and Shirley Manson in that ad.

No comments:

Post a Comment