Friday, June 4, 2010

Friday Off

I work a "Crazy 9s" schedule at work so that I can get every other Friday off. I do complain about the length of a 9hr work day, but it's worth it. Today is one. On these days, I like to sleep in a little, if I can, and I try to be slightly productive (e.g. laundry, gym, groceries, etc)... but my favorite part is watching music videos for a while in the morning, while drinking my coffee.

Say what you will about Fuse, but they at least still play music videos quite a bit of the time. And they still have a countdown. So while I think they might be trying too hard to be cool, and thus occasionally come off as poseurs (depending on the selections and the hosts), I genuinely appreciate their existence.

The other channel I rely on for a music video fix is VH1 Classic (even though I feel kind of sad that "classic" apparently now includes the '90s). Last weekend, I believe, they had 80s A-Z and I pretty much left it on all day. It was a delight.

I also occasionally hit normal VH1, but most of the time it is a hideous wasteland of "reality" suck. They also still have a countdown, so I guess that's ok, but let's be real, chances are at any given moment they are NOT playing music.

To which I say: Thank God for the Internet. Used to be, one had to wait around all day/night and hope they would play that one video you loved... now? Just google that sucker, and you can watch it immediately, over and over and over.

Let me recap my thoughts from this morning, watching Fuse:

1) I swear, this is THE MOST OVERPLAYED video right now, especially since it is neither sexy nor entertaining. This kid is dorky (not in the good way), the dancing is tacky (don't believe me? Go to about 1:51 in the video), and I don't believe he's old enough to know anything. And it's on like every morning, I hear it in the grocery store, at the gym, etc. GAH. But props to him for not disabling embedding on YouTube, LOL. Also, my roommate (girl) covets the red sweater he wears towards the end. To be fair, he has a good voice, and I don't hate most of it. I do happen to like the 'you're singing to me, baby, in my head right now' line... but that fugly line-beard... and the "let's get down to business and skip foreplay" line? Just... whatever, dude.
"In My Head" - Jason Derulo:


And seriously, guys dancing in front of a gas station? That ONLY makes me think of that scene in Hot Rod, which I guess is maybe a point in this song's favor, as how can you help but smile thinking of this -


2) The video that was played this morning almost immediately after In My Head, was "Opposite of Adults" - Chiddy Bang. Which even without seeing the video, you can guess it is going to be better, because: their name is CHIDDY. BANG. So right off the bat you get an inkling of what could be in store. Now the video is not like, spectacular, but it is dorky in an endearing way, and it has a sense of humor. And it kind of makes me want to hang out with them.


And this song samples "Kids" - MGMT, which video I include because it is just random and features lots of monsters. Mildly creepy in tone, but quite good overall. Kinda genius.


That's it for today, I have to go figure out how to clean bright coral nail polish off my light yellow bathroom wall. (Bottle shattered when I tried to pick it up.) Lucky me! We are terribly disaster-prone tenants.

2 comments: