Thursday, September 1, 2011

Come out from the world, and into my arms

I am in a huge Blitzen Trapper phase (it's just the right mix of folksy Americana sometimes vaguely heavy indie rock slightly Beatles/classics-tinged drama that I really appreciate, it hits "all the right chords" in me just perfectly). They are a band that initially I did not really want to listen to, just based on their name being borderline insufferable (Vampire Weekend would be another). But great music won me over. And yesterday on twitter I RT'd a link (from @rainnwilson RT'ing @SubPopWorld - who is a big fan, to say the least - see The Blitzen Trappen Massacre below) to their latest music video, which you may or may not have seen. I like the song, but actually I'm not a huge fan of the video - nothing happens, it's just them, and they shoot guns (could be promising) but no one dies (boring). But I RT'd just because I happen to like them and have all their albums, etc. I hope to catch them around sometime (they're from Portland). It takes a lot to get me to shows nowadays (that's the aging misanthrope speaking), but I pretty solidly like their work, so maybe I should do it. Their next album is coming out really soon as well.

The latest video - "Love the Way You Walk Away" -





I do like the video for "Furr" though - simple, with just enough quirk in the paper to back the fantastic song (looks like it was on Skins recently and sent a bunch of people there, LOL):




One of my other favorites is "The Man Who Would Speak True", but it's just a vid of what looks like an in-store performance. Love those lyrics and the story.



"Wild Mountain Nation" has some lovely lyrics as well -
Come out from the world
And into my arms
Like wind on the water with me
Come out from the city
Come out from the town
Build stone by stone a wild mountain home





Video (and song) wise, I also really like "Black River Killer" which is so moody and lonesome and it's great he ends up in OR, because you know, the PacNW and serial killers! That's like peanut butter and chocolate! (Also it makes me think of my "Sociology of Murder" class back in undergrad. Good times.) The video goes literal, but in a very cinematic way, and with some good slightly creepy masks for a nice touch.





And finally, "The Blitzen Trapper Massacre" (just for lolz):









No comments:

Post a Comment