Friday, July 1, 2011

A little random French indie for July 1

I've been going through my iTunes because I had to reset my stupid old iPod and re-transfer stuff so I've been trying to get rid of things I never listen to, and get rid of corrupted files, etc. Came across Malajube (they are from Montreal; I love Canadians), and actually couldn't remember when I got their stuff... but I have it. And it's very good. Indie pop in French, a nice mix of softer and more danceable; and creative videos with lots of stuff thrown in to keep them interesting.

This video for Le Métronome features them playing, and then getting duct-taped to a wall. It's not that exciting (that's why just a link), but it introduces them. And if you just watched that, you might find them annoying. But try some of these other videos out as well - they are quite fun; nothing too serious, lots of drawings and animation.


Luna - has synchronized swimming. How many videos can say that? I think that's an underutilized gimmick for a music video (for example, this fanvid has Echo & The Bunnymen music edited together with an Esther Williams clip, and it kind of weirdly works. But can you imagine how crazy over the top one could go with an original composition and some imagination? Full on Busby Berkeley. Handmade sea life, backup swimmers, giant corals, the whole 9 yards. I think it's about time for a retro-fabulous Esther Williams homage. Maybe Gaga?)





Le crabe - is collage-y, and I love the rampaging stag head.





Pate Filo (I think it's Phyllo Dough?) - All cartoony. Kissing couples. Kissing skeletons (cuter than it sounds). (Not shown, but their Montreal -40C has similar drawing bits but also people.)





Ton Plat Favori (which I think translates to "your favorite dish") has some great old-timey piano vibes, and a cutesy though mildly disturbing video.





And I'll end with Le jus de citron because it features lemons and assorted animal masks. Citrus and bears usually always win.

No comments:

Post a Comment