Saturday, July 2, 2011

Fade into you, Lord of the Universe?

Two disparate songs have been stuck in my head all week, I thought that I could maybe drive them out with an eclectic playlist that I blasted at Thursday night happy hour (small but successful), and various iterations of other playlists, and even my old standby lots-of-Dylan, and yet they remain. Earworms are stubborn that way. I had to spend this morning at a funeral, and despite sitting through that (it was for a rather great lady, much beloved by many), and all the solemnity of that, and yet the songs are still rattling around in my brain. Realllllly worked their way in.
(Side note for future reference: for my funeral I want it to be lots of drinking and dancing and not just a sad people sitting around. Sad people dancing awkwardly would be preferred.)


Firstly:
"Fade Into You" - Mazzy Star - love the B&W of this video, it's just so fitting and moody and you can't really see much of anything, which matches the "fade" notion of the song.





And now for something completely different.

"Adon Olam" - Uzi Chitman - Adon Olam is a traditional Jewish prayer that can be sung/chanted in an endless number of ways, but the late Uzi Chitman composed this strikingly beautiful melody for the first couple stanzas in the 70s for a festival. From that, he became a popular and beloved singer/songwriter/composer and TV personality. He appeared in Israeli kids songs videos (just lost like an hour or so trying to find bits on YT, oohhh the cheezinesss, they were so terrible, but then so are most low budget kids videos, I guess) that my parents got for us when we were young to bolster our Hebrew skillz, which means I've maybe been a little bit in love with him for a long time. I find this arrangement to be just amazing - still very expansive and respectfully worshipful, but so unique, with fast bits and changes between styles. I think it makes it both more folksy and more modern than a staid traditional hymn-type version. All in that lovely 70s folk rock kinda style that I love so dearly, which is probably why it works so well for me. If I think of the words to this (admittedly rarely), I can only think of the words with this particular melody.

The video below is of people watching what I'm guessing is some kind of a memorial video of Uzi (he is the floppy haired one) along with Oded Ben-Hur. (Here's also a link to a higher quality audio version of him singing it set to space/star pics is there if you'd rather just listen/like better audio.)




And I guess that's worked out to be fairly fitting for the day I've turned out to have. Anyone been struggling with any particularly strong earworms lately? What were your songs of this past week?

No comments:

Post a Comment