Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I am cold, so I am listening to San Diego pop punk circa early 2000s

It has been a terrible June here - all gloomy and ridiculously chill. We have had only maybe 4-6 good days this year, and 6 seems like a high estimate. Blechh. I hate waiting for summer. Luckily, when I go home to San Diego for visits, it almost always has delightful perfect weather, so I do get a few fixes throughout the year. I was home on my birthday and soaked it up, and I will go camping with my mom in July at some point and soak up some more (probably get a sunburn and then whine about how much I miss WA coolth).

So I think a taste of warm sunny pop punk is just the ticket for the evening, while I run around and clean my house. To consider my timeline, I spent the early 2000s in college... so this is the kind of poppy skate rock that abounded at the time. Not actually sure how I heard of them, but they were apparently around. The guy is in Yellowcard too, or was, or is now (or something like that? Too lazy to google.)

"Little things like attitude, the way that we both hate seafood..." 
That lyric is admittedly not Shakespeare, but it works for me (maybe cause I'm not a huge seafood fan myself?), and coupled with the chords, and just the right amount of sweet loveyness and screaming, it works out to be my favorite song by them. ("An Offer She Can't Refuse" is also good, that's a link to them playing both that and I Want Burns, at the Epicentre, a terrible cement box of a venue as I remember, but all-ages shows so they have their value; a girl I was with passed out there in the midst of some mild-moshing once and was like miraculously whisked up onto the stage and out by attentive security, fun times of my youth.)  Actually the key lyric for me is probably the thought of
"a song that she could call her own..." 
The video has them just kinda messing around. Nothing too spectacular or interesting. But goes with that skatepunky vibe. It fits. Makes me think of high school, college, the people I knew back then... and yes, the sun and warmth.

 "I want burns" - Reeve Oliver





And for kicks, here is a link to a live performance of the same song, at SDSU, my alma mater (undergrad).
SDSU, looking warm and charming
Note the blue sky and the palm trees. It's when I see snippets of something entirely normal like that (band playing by the free speech steps) with nice weather and here it is a cold and rainy June 29th, and I am worried that the work happy hour I am hosting tomorrow might get rained out even though it's July on Friday... makes me re-think why I live here, LOL. Not really, I love the green and the drear, it's just wears on you when it stays this grey so long. When the summer weather gets here (fingers crossed!), it is really beautiful. When it's good it's REALLY GOOD. Like, cartoonishly perfect. I will just have to hold on for it.
As they said in the song - "for the sun to rise, it must get dark" - well, it's dark grey now and has been for like 9 months, so sun please come out soon. Not sure how much longer I can take!

Surprising awesome tidbit:
While looking for the official music video, I discovered that they were actually once on Yo Gabba Gabba. That's right. They hit the bigtime. Too legit! And what a lovely sentiment! Yay! Good job, Reeve Oliver =)

"I Like Sandwiches"


Love it.

For the comments: songs that remind you of home, songs that remind you of sunshine, songs that remind you of college/being that age? Can stick with the sunny vibe, or can be moody (I have moody college years songs too, maybe another post) as I am interested in people with completely different college experiences - I went to a laid back sunny party school for undergrad, I know other people suffered through some things. I only had to suffer fools, tools, and skanks... not really that bad! And then grad school was actually way more fun for me, and a different vibe (UCLA) though still sunny and often quite similar. But songs that remind me of that would be totally different (more indie/folk, less punk, as befits a person finally aging into some semblance of self; maybe another post).

And I am going to do a summer song list soon too, and I may include your suggestions if they fit that theme as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment