Monday, July 18, 2011

There's gotta be something better than in-the-middle

   
Yosemite Falls over Merced River
Compromising on music can sometimes be tough. This week I was on vacation and a large part of that was spent with my mother, who does not share quite the same tastes in music. Luckily, I have plenty of classical selections to play (that she does like), and there are large parts of my playlists that she does not mind so much. 
 She doesn't like anything too loud or as she puts it "pounding" (LOL) so I try to keep it to a milder folksy alt rock selection for the most part. 
   

Me at the bottom of Vernal Falls
So we agree on Bob Dylan and  things in that vein; and so from there she will even put up with the slightly younger version. The Wallflowers did pretty well for a little while in the late 90s, and Jakob Dylan has some lovely solo stuff now. Some of The Wallflowers stuff can be a little generic, but it is a suitably mainly-mellow rock (which can be both a point for and against them) but besides the singles they do have some standout songs. And anything I can get her to agree to as being 'OK' I take as a small victory. And The Wallflowers/Jakob Dylan - even though it's not a huge step from Dylan Sr, at least there's a good segue into trying it out, like 'O hey his kid!" I really enjoy making my mother listen to more modern things and hearing her thoughts on the songs/singers from her outsiders perspective (even the negative ones, sometimes they are hilarious). (She actually puts up with quite a bit of my music, so kudos to her.)




Vernal Falls



Confession: I think Jakob Dylan is like the hottest thing ever. And that might be possibly weird because I also worship his father. He just got the all the best things - good looks AND musical talent (the world is so unfair) and that nice growly voice, but a touch more silken than the generation before... RRRAWR. And he's a whole lot closer to my age, LOL, so that helps.
Nevada Falls from horse trail








The look and feel of the One Headlight video is very dated, typical 90s pop rock, and nothing really goes on. But that's ok, because you see a lot of him, and basically this video works just because he is so damn good looking. And I was just the right age (in what, 1997?) for staring into those blue blue eyes...



"One Headlight" - The Wallflowers




"6th Avenue Heartache"  - video made up of still shots. More of him looking moody and gorgeous. Look at those lips (I will shut up now)...




At top of Nevada Falls
"Sleepwalker" - one of my fav Wallflowers songs, and the video is amusing because it totally mocks his hot celeb status. (Thanks for ridiculing my teenage obsessions, Jakob. And for pointing out that you're never gonna be my valentine. Not like I didn't already know that. Sad face.) I like that he doesn't take himself too seriously, has some sense of humor about the ridiculousness of fame. It makes for a fun video. Ahead of the curve with his vampire graffiti, too. The best/my most favorite YT comment on this is:

Sorry Anthony Wiener - Jakob Dylan is the Jewish guy I really want to see lewd pictures of.
ViolettaMarmalade 2 weeks ago 


@ James Dean memorial in Cholame, CA


See also 2 other favorites: Empire in My Mind and sweet hidden track Baby Bird

I really liked The Wallflowers, and I'm kinda sad that while they had some success and a few singles (even Grammy wins), they didn't really ever blow up.  I remember I dragged a friend of mine who didn't even like them to their concert once, and even he had to admit they were pretty solid live. And I realllllly like Jakob Dylan's more recent solo album Women and Country, which is lovely and delightsome.


"Smile When You Call Me That" is my favorite off of his aforementioned album. The line that gets me is:
 "Not much is certain, but this much is true - my arms are useless if they don't have you"




What have you gotten your parents (or friend, spouse, or other difficult/picky person) to listen to / agree upon that they otherwise might not have?

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, just reading the post title really took me back. And yes, the video has the quintessential 90s format.

    This post is timely since Matt and I took a road trip to Pittsburgh for the 4th of July. As DJ, I was tasked with trying to find music that he would appreciate. He likes some of my music, but not all, and he doesn't like it too poppy (to him, Metric is poppy). I like some of his, but he doesn't actually keep music on his ipod (or on his computer, we have shelves of CDs that he never listens to). The one thing we consistantly agree on is listening to All Songs Considered, which helps. Then I sprinkle in a bit of whatever I'm listening to, then maybe we listen to This American Life, and this trip, I even put up with some baseball since the rental car had satellite radio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TAL cures all ills, I think, LOL. Ira Glass, RAWRR.

    I think compromise - like you listening to some baseball, or me trying to keep it folksy for my mom - is the key. Break 'em down slow with more palatable stuff and ease into anything too 'poppy' or loud or other. I am absurdly proud that my mom can now recognize Stephin Merritt's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is indeed a worthy cause for pride.

    And yes, Ira Glass!

    ReplyDelete