Wednesday, June 1, 2011

June June June Finally/Already!!!

Was working from home this afternoon so I got to blast my music in the living room, and not worry about bothering coworkers. I work much better with music or tv in the background, and earbuds just don't quite cut it (also they keep falling out, my ears hate them). It was, all told, a very nice rainy afternoon.

Yes, it is still cold/rainy here. The morning was normal drear, but with small breaks in cloud, but then as soon as I got home it started raining. Back home in San Diego they like to talk about the annual "June Gloom" (marine layer) - but it's not up to the same caliber as PacNW gloom. However, according to the internet, it may warm up here soon (local wisdom is that it doesn't warm up/summer doesn't start here until the day after the 4th of July, and I don't know that I can wait that long for warmth).

So because I have been thinking of the weather and both astounded by how long it took to get here and how quickly it arrived - June songs!

The first song regarding June that immediately and obviously springs to mind would be June on the West Coast - Bright Eyes. Below is a lovely intimate performance vid from 2003 (love how quiet the crowd is for this, hushed and reverent).




"Ballad of Theodore and June" - Softlightes - This song is not technically about the season but I was just listening to it and I love the line: "I'll catch you like sunshine..." It just seems sweet and seasonally appropriate. I am not sure why the fan who put together this video decided to set it to a cartoon? But I guess it works?



While we are discussing the lovely Softlightes, completely unrelated to June (except in that it is a dreamy pop sound perfectly appropriate for Spring/Summer), the stop-motion video for Heart Made of Sound is superfantastic (color, motion, good use of words):




Back to the theme - there's also "Seven Days in Sunny June" - Jamiroquai: the vibe is right in this video, though there's a lot of trying-too-hard partying going on, and the wearing of man short shorts. I like the use of the hazy/yellow filter, because that's how I think of summer afternoons. However, to have such a party one would need a sunny June, which I don't have yet (fingers crossed for the weekend), so that's kind of a bummer for all of us with suboptimal weather (and friends who don't throw parties of this nature).




Or you could also go with "June Afternoon" - Roxette - for some very bright cheeriness (wah wah):




Couple other songs mentioning June (no videos):

"June, July" - Apartment - The Dreamer Evasive is such a solid album.

"Junebug" - Sparklehorse - this song is just perfection. (I am still sad Mark Linkous is gone, his music was always unique and lovely.)

"June" - Rjd2 (this came on one of my Pandora stations this morning and it amused me; without Pandora I might whither away at work some days.)



And to close it out with a winner, I really like The Decemberists new ode, "June Hymn" (I really like this most recent album):





For the comments - what am I missing that says June, mentions a June, or makes you feel like June. (Or anything else you care to share!)

2 comments:

  1. Thoughts on the videos above:
    1. "Ballad of Theodore and June": Cute song, and can I just say that I think Ed, Edd, n Eddy is actually a pretty sweet kid's cartoon. The kids I babysat liked it. At first I thought it was rubbish because I was VERY particular about my 'toons. But then I grew to like it.
    2. The "Heart Made of Sound" vid is really awesome.
    3. Could the "June Afternoon" video BE anymore '90s? (Y'like the Friends reference I slipped in there? It fits with the '90s).
    4. I have been hearing much praise for The King is Dead. I'll have to check it out.

    As for other songs, I can think of a few that remind me of summer, although not June specifically. First and foremost, I would cite "1979":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrivjzw0RlI
    I think this has to do with summer and youth being linked in my mind. It's probably because summer means more to a kid or teen.

    Also, if I get an album right before or during the summer months, sometimes the whole album can take on a summery feel. One such album is The Raveonettes Pretty in Black. If I had to narrow it to a specific song, it would be "Red Tan":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb75SLiw4ec
    The video is terrible but it had the best audio/live version of the song. The song selection relates to youth, again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree about the timing aspect of when one gets an album. I also have a lot of memories of summer songs, tied up with summers at camp with Lo and all that, etc. I will definitely do a summer mix post or two later on.

    Love love love 1979, great pick.

    ReplyDelete