Saturday, June 5, 2010

Eurovision 2010

I adore Eurovision, as it tends to be so amazingly over-the-top (dancing, costumes). And the performers tend to be, how shall I say it, "more interesting" in looks than the average American pop star. I would like to go some day. However, we kind of have that Eurovision-costume-vibe every day here thanks to Lady Gaga, so I guess I can live with just seeing a few of the videos online.

The winner was Germany: "Satellite" - Lena. This song is kinda catchy, but I'm not a huge fan, really. It seems a little lackluster for first place.



This year it was held in Oslo, Norway; they were represented by "My Heart is Yours" - Didrik Solli-Tangen. Who has an excellent name. And in this clip, is performing the song on a pre-contest boat excursion. In a pretty rad Norwegian flag suit. Which he totally works. The song is nice, his voice is nice, in a very Josh Groban-y way. I just googled him and I am older than he is. So that makes me sad. Some cute pics though.


And Spain had a stage-crasher. But more importantly, they had the power of Daniel Diges' hair. "Algo Pequeñito" is the song, very cute and catchy. So basically his performance below had: his hair, those dimples, scary puppet/mannequin/whatever dancers, and a stagecrasher - yet only got 15th place! Pobrecito.


I am including the regular video for this as well, because it is even more entertaining.





And now a few more selections, from countries from whom I get some genes. Fun fact: if you crossed the singers of these countries all together, you would have a good idea of what I look like. JK! (Or am I?)

Romania: "Playing with Fire" - Paula Seling & Ovi. They got third place. And, they have fire. And a clear/conjoined piano. And pleathery outfits.



Israel: "Milim" ("Words") - Harel Skaat. This is the official video, cause I think it's more entertaining) not his performance at the contest (which was just singing, nothing crazy). The lyrics go something like "you've left me nothing but words." They ended up with just 14th, but they swept the Marcel Bezençon Awards (press vote, composer vote, artistry/commentator vote). So that's cool. I think he is cutesy in a teeny little-boy-faced way, but also maybe with a smidge of almost Pete Wentz resemblance.


Sweden: "This is my life" - Anna Bergendahl. This is pretty standard, nice enough song, but no fire or shenanigans. I like her headband.


And (since Scotland is part of it) the UK (25th place) - "That Sounds Good to Me" - Josh Dubovie. This song (and the dancing, the whole deal) is particularly tacky... it's just... wretched.



There you have it. The many wonders of Eurovision.

Still have time to kill?
Slovenia - has someone named Kalamari. And it's kinda rock-ish. Plus traditional(?) costumes? And accordion.

France, with much butt-shakin' ahoy

Cyprus - Jon Lilygreen & The Islanders "Life will be better in Spring" - which sounds downright US radio friendly and I would never have guessed Cyprus.

And now I am going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment