Monday, June 7, 2010

Earworm: Nightingale

I like it when the song repeating in my head is actually a good song. Sadly, as I have no control over the matter, it doesn't happen as often as one might hope. And it's a gorgeous, dark, broody song, which I guess is fitting since I had a textbook case of the Mondays today.

"Nightingale" - Rocco DeLuca & The Burden: I love this song. It is perfect.

The man can wail. Plus, he plays a dobro (and as we have learned from my beloved Magnetic Fields, a dobro sounds "like a mountain range in love"). He also has a lovely distinctive voice which I enjoy...Note: it has been called "shrill" LOL. (My love for whiney voiced men may well be the theme of a future post.)

I couldn't find a video for it, but this is a performance:

Or if you want - a slightly more intimate, stripped-down version from an interview.

Fact: this song is so great, that it even made me forgive him for the terrible video that got made for "Colorful" - not the one of him walking at the beach, but the hot naked model one that got played a lot on VH1 back in the day. Which just irritated me to no end, like, way to have a song about a 'colorful' person illustrated by the most generic, personality-lacking thing possible: a naked model upon whom one projects actual pictures of oneself. Not that I in any way believe that videos should be just literal interpretations. I just think it's a cheap way to make a video get played. This could actually be part of a whole separate post about how sometimes a not-so-great video really drags down a really good song, taints it, as it were. Now when I hear this song, I almost always still think of the video, and am mildly annoyed - and it's been YEARS since this came out.


You may also know him because they're on Kiefer Sutherland's record label and he promotes their stuff. In fact the video I found for "Save Yourself" has "24" clips in it, I guess it was used in their 24: Redemption movie.



And, bonus earworm - when I was looking at the above video, along the side with the other suggested videos, right under videos from Audioslave and The Fray and above Bloodhound Gang (seriously YouTube?) was the lovely and infectious "Silver Lining" - Rilo Kiley (one of my all-time favorite bands). This video is incredibly adorable, very cutesy and sweetly sad. Enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment