Monday, January 23, 2012

If snow won't change your heart, let it fall

Sorry no recent posts - winter finally happened here - snow, ice, I didn't have power for 4 days, etc. Things have been kind of hectic around these parts.

So a taste of weather songs - over on my FB, someone had asked for favorite songs with 'rain' in the title - and I was going to put this one, but someone beat me to it, LOL. I remember the first time I heard this song, I was pretty young like 11 or 12 (a formative age!), listening to my walkman in bed, and this song came on the oldies station and I was just blown away. It has been a beloved favorite ever since. There's something completely perfect about the rain sounds, the plunky xylophone type sounds - and that opening:
"Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain / telling me just what a fool I've been / I wish that it would go and let me cry in vain / and let me be alone again..." 
Followed later by the superb "Rain won't you tell her that I love her so / please ask the sun to set her heart aglow / rain in her heart and let the love we knew start to grow"

"Rhythm of the Rain" - The Cascades (look at these charmers/creepers!)






And I know that I must know more songs about snow, but I am still kind of mentally exhausted from the prior week of actual weather drama, so the first one I could think of was the Belle & Sebastian classic "Fox in the Snow" and followed by "Rain and Snow" a delightful American classic performed by The Be Good Tanyas (I love them, you should really check them out if you're not familiar with them).


"Fox in the Snow" - Belle & Sebastian (this is not an official video, but it is super adorable!):





"Rain and Snow" - The Be Good Tanyas




And perhaps a more easily appreciated of their songs (and one of my favorite songs ever) - "The Littlest Birds" - The Be Good Tanyas (which also aptly references "the cold and the rain"):
"I love you so dearly, I love you so fearlessly..."






But I saved yet another delight for last - "Only Time" by The Magnetic Fields - Stephin Merritt (you will eventually get sick of my fangirl adoration for him, apologies (not really)) is the greatest songwriter of his generation, or possibly of all time. His more lyrically playful songs are amazing and clever and he has a knack for perfect turns of phrase to thrill the heart of word-nerds everywhere. But even his simplest songs - like this one, not a ton of flowery lyrics or anything - convey such richness of emotion, such depth of sadness & woe & love & sweetness & bitter longing and everything all at once. (I made my favorite line the title of this post.) And TMF have by far the best strings around, which is also a personal obsession.










No comments:

Post a Comment