Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I dont know quite how to put this decently

I know, it's too too too too sweet. And I couldn't find a video. But it's such a beautiful song! Mellow, adorable, enchanting - all without crossing the border into overly saccharine. A gem. Long live Stephin Merritt (and Katharine Whalen, the singer). This song is also on the Pieces of April soundtrack (a good movie (one of the only times you might find Katie Holmes bearable) with a perfect soundtrack).

"You You You You" - The 6ths




Note: the city of Dublin shows their wisdom by using it in a tourism video, and that alone makes me want to go there. (I already did, but seriously, good call guys!)


***
I really only meant to post the above because it's so darling, but then I fell down a YT hole and voila! Extra content!


Katharine Whalen herself is probably most known for her work in the Squirrel Nut Zippers, but her beautiful and distinctive voice is also perfect for her jazz work; and her current project seems to be Katharine Whalen and her Fascinators (old timey folksy).




"Yesterdays" - Katharine Whalen







"Madly Love" - Katharine Whalen and her Fascinators






"Put A Lid On It" - Squirrel Nut Zippers  - I include this because it is cute (and you've probably already heard "Hell" if you lived through the mid/late '90s; a unique classic in its own right) and features her prominently. I like the speakeasy setup, it works perfectly (a bit dated, the 90s really leaves its mark, but still cutesy).





No comments:

Post a Comment