Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Riu Riu What??

So I was looking through my Christmas music selection cause I'm taking my playlist to a party this weekend (I don't really trust their music selections as I think they're all quite young, LOL, also I think there may be square-dancing or something if that gives you some insight in what I must contend with). Realized there was no Ríu Ríu Chíu, which one must have. I like this song because: it is so gorgeously distinctive and medieval, a song in Spanish is a nice break from other overplayed Christmas songs, and it has a great name (Riu Riu Chiu are supposedly the sounds of the Nightingale? Fascinating).  Did some searching, and... awesome discovery time! 

Someone has awesomely remixed this very ancient song into electronica - no longer solemn, but still quite beautiful in its own way, I think. It might be just the ticket for a holiday workout? Or jazz up your otherwise quiet holiday get-together? Do it.
I believe you can listen to the whole thing here - although at 6 minutes plus, it might be a bit long for those of you with non-electronic-drum-and-bass tastes. (This version is also available, and cheaper, I think, on iTunes and Amazon, but they limit their preview length, so this link works for that.) 


Then for the slightly more traditionalists, you can hear a standard version by Chanticleer


Or, maybe The Monkees are more your style? I love it, this version is fantastic. Though their voices are softer than the version above, they all sound lovely together, very sweet and reverent. The song goes only about 1:33 - then the candle is blown out (cute) and the video continues with them wishing a Christmas message and bringing their crew out to thank them and etc. It's all very adorable.




What is your favorite lesser known Christmas song? I have a contribution towards those coming up (if I remember to post).
Or a favorite remix discovery? Share!

(I am working on more Hanukkah music for next week, don't worry!)

2 comments:

  1. I like the David Archuletta version of Riu Riu Chiu. Don't disown me, it really is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I saw that on YT. I will admit it's not bad (I think he might add a smidge too much to it). I saw a comment (when searching for a vid for the first one that I didn't find) that now there's an "epidemic" of people who think they can sing that in Spanish like David Archuleta (but can't). And that could totally be true, and made me LOL.
    Here is a link to him emoti-handsing it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPMIphESl58

    ReplyDelete