Saturday, May 14, 2011

Eurovision Big 5

The "Big 5" of Eurovision 2011 - France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK. They took a boat trip together. Here are their entries. Discuss!




"Que me quiten lo bailao" - Lucia Perez (Spain) - this is very upbeat, but there's a lot going on the video in terms of the carnival around her, and it all runs together. I think the song is OK, and I love dancing and drama, but this was pretty forgettable.





It is, however, not as tacky as this:

"I Can" - Blue (UK) - This is super 90s boy-bandy. With reallllly unattractive guys. I don't get this choice at all (see also: Ireland's choice of Jedward?). United Kingdom, you have SO MUCH GOOD MUSIC, why did this get picked?





"Taken By A Stranger" - Lena (Germany)  - Lena won last year's ESC with "Satellites" and I think I actually like this song better. The video features lots of looking at herself in the mirror, and dancing with people in silver bodysuits. Can't help but feel that they're going for a kind of Twilighty vibe with it all? I don't know. Not my fav, but not bad.





"Madness of Love" - Raphael Gualazzi (Italy) - Nice jazzy piano. Actually really like this. Are the clips from a film? I like the little words/letters/lines being drawn around him as he plays - very simple, keeping it classy. Because this features the piano being played, I think it's good to keep the stuff around it very low-key, otherwise it could be a big mess. This stayed in focus, him, the piano, the occasional trumpet blast, just a few film clips to give a little story.





"Sognu" - Amaury Vassili (France) - "Sognu" means "Dream." Some serious singing. And he's pretty cute. Is he the French Josh Groban? Video is nice, a hint of a story & some good landscapes and shots of him on a mountain. The understated video works, because if you have that kind of an epic vocal track, then having too much going on in the video might not be the best choice (cheap and/or distracting; same as piano comment above).





Saw a YT comment saying someone is predicting Lena wins again? I think that would be terrible. Who do you think should and/or will win?

No comments:

Post a Comment