Thursday, May 26, 2011

Clap for the heavyweight champ - me

While briefly chatting online with Miss_Michael this morning (I've been intermittently working from home this week), and in the middle of just briefly catching up, the topic of Nicki Minaj surfaced. Which is interesting because neither of us is really into hip hop (all that much). But she certainly makes striking videos, super colorful, full of outfits and jewelry and ice speakers and shirtless men (naturally) - so they are memorable and fun to talk about, which in my book = points.

And it was also funny to me because a few weeks ago I had made a mental note to post - "Moment 4 Life" (hate the 4!), because I like the fairytale theme (even though I do not like Drake), but never gotten around to it. So our conversation was fortuitous. Let's start with Moment 4 Life, and then move on to Super Bass (which is the video we were discussing this morning).

I like that she calls herself a king, I love that bed, and I love when she says sorry to the haters that they couldn't phase her. I also like the sentiment of wishing that you could have a certain moment for life - especially when she says it and hugs herself at 5:46 - it's that kind of shiver you get when something is so perfect that you know you need to lock that memory in to treasure forever. So that really works for me. I very much also like that it's her own weird fairytale/wedding thing, it fits. But other than theme and some of the sets/outfits, a large part is just Drake talk-rapping, and the two of them standing around, which is boring. It could use more movement, action, something.




Super Bass, however, has all the movement that the more subdued Moment 4 Life lacks. Lots of dancing, wigs, and pink. And ice, and feathers, and black light. (And the aforementioned shirtless men.) Love the use of color. But for me, I kind of cannot get over the line "somebody please tell him who the F I is," it grates on my ears. Other than that, the video certainly "pops"...

No comments:

Post a Comment