Sunday, February 13, 2011

Let's Not Belong Together

Since I celebrate Weezer Day (commemorating their start on February 14, 1992), this should probably be a post dedicated to Weezer. But I don't really feel like doing that tonight, as that's not the mood I am in. I will save that maybe for later this week? Maybe you will even get a snap of the cards I handcraft every year for the occasion. (They turned out extra good this year.)

Instead today has been feeling a little more Paul Westerberg.

Whether you know him more from The Replacements, or his solo stuff (and as Grandpaboy), either way he is extremely talented. Focusing more on his solo work, I like that his lyrics tend to be very wistful - hopeful but sad, and more about love lost or never blossomed

I pride myself on being a realist (read: cynic) so I enjoy the mix of romantic songs with a heavy dose of good old fashioned loss (also why I enjoy country music, but not the newish country pop crap). But they still tend to come off with hope/the chance of better - all in all very sincere but not treacly. I appreciate that kind of acceptance of one's lot in life - "well, the night is for vampires and failures" (here is someone's random pic montage set to it) and and acceptance of the idea of perpetually not quite making love and/or life work  - "What kind of fool am I? // Who never fell in love? // It seems that I’m the only one that I’ve been thinking of".

Sadly most of these do not have music videos, so this post will be just link-heavy to YT where you can at least hear the song. Some performances too.


It's A Wonderful Lie - 



Between Love and Like -
"In between love and like
You and me are alike
You and me
In between love and like"





Eyes Like Sparks - 
"Stay where you are
Baby, stay away from me
With your eyes like sparks
And my heart like gasoline"



Even the songs he did for a kids movie are great - I Love You In The Fall: (Can we also talk about how people put up videos like this of a record playing? It cracks me up! I do prefer this to the idea of a random montage or just the still of the album cover, I guess. The thought of someone videotaping their record player is a kind of wonderful small joy.)







Dyslexic Heart - the only one I could find that has an actual video - mainly because it was from the classic movie Singles. LOL.




Love Untold - 




And possibly my favorite of his, and even one of my favorites of all time -
As Far as I Know - YT below of cover art or follow link to: a TV performance where he gets the words wrong




In closing, since some of us will have to ignore the trappings of V-day tomorrow - from Let's Not Belong:


"We don't belong to different worlds
There's nothing wrong with us whatsoever
Let's not belong together"





Happy Weezer and/or Valentine's Day (or other holiday of your choosing, hopefully involving the drinking of wine) to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment