Monday, February 7, 2011

Butterfly

(Thanks to Miss Michael for the tip - I do read NPR Music fairly regularly, but I did not see this until she sent me the link.)


Confession: I do not usually listen to all that much strictly instrumental stuff (other than some classical), because I really like words. And off-the-top of my tired head I can't think of many (any?) music videos for pop-ish music. I actually really like the mix here - the song carries one through quite strongly, and there's a lot going on visually which helps keep my attention and my interest (without words I sometimes get bored; I know, it's a failing). 


I also like how the video starts in close, pulls back to reveal the myriad performances, and then closes back in - simple and free-form but still has an almost-story structure. Reallllly reallly like the whole thing. Fun, quirky, and different, but without crossing the line into twee or ridiculous trying-too-hard = total win. That is a delicate line; even though it has some elements that could otherwise be circusy, like a ventriloquist and all sorts of stuff which could veer off into creepycrazypants territory - it actually comes off rather sweetly earnest (but not overly so).

You can see the video and read the full post (a little more info on the artist and some quotes from the artist and the video's director) on the NPR Music All Songs Considered blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment