Monday, January 31, 2011

Well the pleasure, the privilege is mine

There are bad covers. There are mediocre covers. There are good covers.

And then there are fantastic covers.

Go here - http://thesmithsproject.blogspot.com/ -these are amazing. Buy some songs, they are lovely. Janice Whaley has made something truly beautiful and intimate. Transformed, reinterpreted - but still true.
(Thanks, oddly enough, go to @michaelianblack on Twitter for the tip on this. Comedy AND good taste in music!)

I suggest starting with one of my favorite songs in the world - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out.

Or  the classic - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

Or - I Won't Share You - which to my surprise features Thomas Lennon on guitar - which just means my comedy/music world is just blowing up all over! His appearance is less surprising though, given Lt. Dangle's love of Morrissey.




******************************************************************

This actually led me to a post I have been considering for a while now, so that was handy since I had already pondered other good Smiths/Morrissey covers and picked the rest of these in a draft. I love The Smiths, and I adore Moz, so for me to like a cover of one of their songs - that in their original form I've already spent hours listening to, that already has personal meaning, that is already so ingrained in my heart - it has to have something special, a little more than with most other stuff. A certain twang or spark of feeling... I can't explain it. If you love a song one way, a cover has to hit you just right. Very rare.


"Sweet and Tender Hooligan" - covered by Nouvelle Vague 






"First of the Gang to Die" - covered by Zee Avi






Hmmmmm, those first three feature female vocals. Interesting how perfectly that works. Great job, ladies!    Now a few male vocals for equality -

"Every Day is Like Sunday" - Colin Meloy (of the Decemberists)





And of course,
"The Headmaster Ritual" - Radiohead




What say you, readers, what have I missed?
And what bands/songs that are precious to you have you found good covers of?

No comments:

Post a Comment