Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Round-Up

There's a lot of available lists of people's 'best' of 2010 stuff, including music videos. I feel there's a lot of repetition, LOL, but I don't think my list is that different either.

Ones I don't include that I saw on a lot of lists - Vampire Weekend's "Giving Up The Gun" - because it's basically only good because there's so many cameos (and Ezra K is a hottie, call me!). Other than that, it's not all that exciting. But did I like it? Yes. Weird tennis and JakeyG and RZA, these are all good things. (Aside: Tennis, like skiing, makes me think of the 80s. Is it the headbands?)


And LCD Soundsystem - Drunk Girls - which is a good concept and executed perfectly, however I find the menacing panda thing to be rather terrifying.

And Die Antwoord - Enter the Ninja - which is not a good video, except that it's so terrible. But it was a clear internet sensation and the song may worm its way into your head, whether you like it or not. (And their 'Evil Boy' video is like super creepy, and full of penises. I do not even know what is going on... it's just... odd.)


Nor do I include Kanye's (epic) Runaway and all that... that's not just a video, it's a movie. It should be it's own post, really. My favorite part is when he's at dinner being asked about whether he's realized his girlfriend is a bird. Also, Power is visually striking as well. So yeah he's having a great year, LOL. But they're not exactly the kind of thing you want to just watch and watch. At least not to me. I like how he goes just over-the-top with absolutely everything, but it is different than your average entertaining video. He seems to be going for 'art' with these, not fun/watch-ability? Again, this could and probably should be an entire post and argument of its own.



Anyways, so not really in any order - just the videos I liked the best. Of course this is just the stuff I can remember, and I am certain I am leaving things out, I really need to keep a running list of ones I love during the year (also should do that with books) but never do... A sad failing, but since only like 3 people read this, if that, I am not too concerned =)


Dan Black - Symphonies (ft. Kid Cudi) - Love the song, and love that they throw in words and it's all very cinematic and cutesy, but without trying too hard.





Cee Lo Green - F*ck You -  One of the year's best, no list should skip this.







OK Go - This Too Shall Pass  - Still wow.






Janelle Monáe - Tightrope - Just so good. Great music, dancing, fun, visually striking. All good.





Broken Bells - The Ghost Inside  - Tells its story in a lovely, moving, and atmospheric way.








And I think those were all posted by me during the year in some form. The one I missed which is fantastic and I kept meaning to post about but never did, and should definitely be included, is this gem:


Hot Chip - I Feel Better (directed by Peter Serafinowicz, who is hilarious). Boy bands and aliens(?) and mayhem. Fantastic!





Have a safe and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment