Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

I'm actually not a big Halloween person (no costumes here), but I do love candy and seeing other people's outfits. I blame my unfun parents. And the fact that most of my friends don't really do anything for it either, other than drink. Also I am getting old. On the other hand, I really dig Neil Gaiman's idea of All Hallow's Read. That's more my style. Anything with books is a good idea for me.

I would do a themed post, but honestly, I am still fighting a lingering cold and basically tonight I plan on hunkering down with chocolate and beer and watching something nice and tacky like The Vampire Diaries (it's super fun, people, don't judge). Currently I am watching Dexter and hoping that it starts raining to keep kids away. No luck yet!

So I have no energy to look for very many videos. (And yes, I know there is a much wider selection of Halloween music out there than my rather narrow scope, whole genres of more 'scary' stuff. This is just a few things off the top of my head, and none of my posts are meant to be exhaustive descriptive studies. Merely a taste.)


First song that came to my mind - "I'm a Vampire" - Future Bible Heroes - but of course there's no video for it.  Here is a link to the track (YouTube). Digression: The Magnetic Fields and all related acts really need to make music videos, in my opinion. They have the best music, and based on their lyrics, they're clearly very imaginative and well read and theatrical... And I'd just love to be able to post a constant stream of what I imagine would be very weird and delightful videos for my friends.

The 2nd song that came to my mind was "Zombie Me" - No More Kings, but again, I can't find a real video for it, so here's just a link to a performance.

And the third was "Vampire Blues" - Mercury Rev. This is actually a cover of a Neil Young song. I just love his whiney voice (both artists, LOL). Again, no real video - here is a link to the Mercury Rev song version with a nice vampire picture. And here's a link to the Neil Young track.



So after striking out three times, here is one actual Halloween song.

"Do They Know it's Hallowe'en?" - North American Hallowe'en Prevention Initiative" (NAHPI) - this is is a satire and also a charity song, in case you were wondering. See the Wikipedia article here. A wide variety of talented people are involved. So many! Arcade Fire, Beck, the list goes on and on and on. The video is good too, nice and weird.











And I almost forgot, but here's a (Halloween suitable) hilarious random song which my sister played for me once back in the day, which has an equally hilarious and random video - "Move Your Dead Bones" - Dr. Reanimator







I hope everyone who has a life has a safe and happy Halloween! Enjoy yourselves, and stay away from my house (or my black cat will put the evil eye on you). 


Feel free to share your favorite Halloween-y music suggestions in the comments, all 2 people who read this =)

No comments:

Post a Comment