Thursday, September 9, 2010

Earworm: 1997 comes a'callin

For some reason, this song has been stuck in my head. Luckily, I actually like this song, and I remember loving it when I first heard it on the radio back in the day.

I have this theory, descriptively entitled "get 'em young" - I think a lot of things imprint on us quite young - e.g. when did I first see Star Wars (young) and how long did I think Harrison Ford was the hottest thing ever (a long time)... and the same applies for music, of course. I was raised by parents with a classical musical only policy, so I started exploring my own tastes in music later... so while music is important in most teenagers life/self-identity-formation, for me it was doubly or trebly so, because I had a lot to catch up on, and a lot to discover. I started with classic rock, and moved on from there.  So 90s radio rock will always have a special place in my heart. I'm sure lots of other people in my generation who were teenagers in 90s have the same feelings about a lot of songs, even the one-hit wonders like this. Sometime around then the internet was also getting big, and from there I discovered even more amazing music, older, deeper tracks, the wide world of streaming college radio stations and indie music... etc. But the music on the radio then (I listened to a lot of 91X back then, LOL, shoutout, San Diego!) definitely imprinted on my heart. I think a lot of songs we listen to in our early teens stick with us; and carry the emotional weight of those years, whether they are actually good songs or not (consider then, what kids now will carry around with them! Miley? Bieber? *shudder*).

I actually think this song holds up quite well. The video - I think it almost might have to be filed under 'trying too hard' - while I really like the silent movie vibe, the sign posts are a little heavy-handed!  But overall, I do still like it, it's an interesting attempt, and who doesn't love a girl making a good choice in the end?


"Your Woman - White Town" -


White Town - Your Woman
Uploaded by djoik. - Music videos, artist interviews, concerts and more.


I realized I don't think I've ever listened to any other song by this guy, so I looked for another video - here is the video for another one "Undressed - White Town" - I like the song, but it's nowhere near as catchy. The video I find similar to the other one - tight focus on very few characters. Very literal interpretation!

1 comment:

  1. I remembered this song too, recently (by recently I mean in the last year-ish). I like it too, but the other song doesn't do much for me.

    I will refrain from comment on the Miley/Bieber shame, as I have my own skeletons in the form of three long haired country boys that sang like girls.

    ReplyDelete