Saturday, May 19, 2012

I don't really give a good goddamn

Assembled this post on Friday night, whilst everyone is out partying. Which meant I was home drinking cheap wine and watching crap on YouTube. So a nice random selection.

If you are going to shoot a video, you might as well include pogo sticks. And bikes. And a marching band. And a pineapple.


"Travelling" - Paper Lions






And then this one is like everything you could want in an indie vid. Bookstore/library meetcute, romantic map, the use of a compass (anytime anyone whips out a compass that's like 25 gold stars in my book), tent, lights, pipe, cat, train tracks, suspenders, nature... they basically checked off everything on the hipster list. It kinda works. I want to dislike it because it's so twee, but I really can't.

"To Be With You" - The Honey Trees





This guy really works a beard and STRINGS. You know my love for good strings. They bring good strings. I am not 100% on the singing bits, but I kinda like the whole effect. Name is too long though, and the song too short. Too much gimmick, needs more cello.

"I See Things That You Don't See And That Is Blue, Blue, Black And Dylan" - Sweet Sweet Moon





These peppy assholes frolic in an apple orchard. I actually like the song, and I feel the good intentions but really find it cloying. Too much cheer, too much folksy apple hijinking... The best YT comment is the person who asks:
 "Is this a Levis Jean commercial?"
"The Light Is You" - Said The Whale





This song has no words. But lots of great strings... and solemn/sad figure ice sculptures, which are amazing. The whole thing is strikingly simple, beautiful, and evocative. "The Winter" - Balmorhea.





And I will close with "Kisses" - The Shivers - if you haven't heard "Beauty" by The Shivers, you haven't lived (I got the song online like a hundred years ago from a livejournal site, of all places... and was instantly smitten and then had to get the album). My mother thinks the singer is "thinks he is Dylan" (with an implication of "he's not" and "trying too hard" - my mom is oftentimes kind of a great indie rock critic), but I kind of love that. I love this song as well. The video is clearly something someone just put together? Lots of stills of band and then kisses... but just go with the song.





I hope you were all out doing happy things! Enjoy the weekend! Hit the comments with any random music you ended up clicking-through-to this weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment