Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I want you for mine

Don't you miss the glorious alt rock of the 90s? I do. This song is super rapey/serial-killer-y (as evidenced by the 'ominous' clips in the video) and makes for amazing comments and theories (always my favorite: vampire!), but once you hear that guitar... It just sweeps you up. I also probably love it so strongly (besides it simply being a great classic 90s piece) because it makes me feel those early thrills of being something like 12, and illicitly listening to music I would get in serious trouble for listening to (AKA the joy of conservative parents who don't take kindly to that sort of thing).

If you hear it young, it never lets you go. And I am so happy for that. Also, if you are female and you hear the song that young, you are instinctively skeptical of long walks around dark lakes late at night from then on. So that's helpful!

Gold stars for my friend J for referencing this song once when we were by a lake at night as teenagers - 'tis also a thrill, of kinship, when you find someone thinking of the exact same song out of a sea of boring people who don't know anything. Fond memories.

"Possum Kingdom" - The Toadies  Fun fact - Possum Kingdom is a lake in Texas! I think the video is good, because really, with a song that tells a story about long walks, a lake, and centers heavily on promising not to be a gentleman and features shouts of "do you want to die" - you don't have a lot of room to go in too many other directions with the video. I think the only other option (which wasn't as trendy then) would be the vampire route, which would probably look even worse and much more dated (now) had it been done then. So, I think they did alright with what they had. Kept a little menacing tension, lots of hair whipping by the crowd, not bad.

Favorite YT comment on this video is the one asking something like, "is the drummer 50?"




How would you have done the video, given the lyrical content? Good old fashioned serial killer? Or vampire? Completely unrelated video? Feminist empowerment where he gets her out to the lake but then she whips out her .45 and shoots him behind the boathouse when he tries to murder her? (The lake is in Texas, after all.) I kinda like that one, LOL.
Please describe your remake in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment